2021 Tree Planting Weekends – Sunday 5th December – Saturday 11th December 10am to 3pm
***We appreciate the ongoing support from Harviestoun Estate with our community tree planting. They are once again providing the location and carrying out all the preparation***
Our final tree planting session of 2021 will be held on Sunday 5th December and Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th December from 10am to 3pm .
We aim to plant 920 trees on the site of the old Dollar Golf Course (blue box marks the spot!)
***We appreciate the ongoing support from Harviestoun Estate with our community tree planting. They are again providing the location and carrying out all the ground preparation.***
How do I get involved?
There are a number of ways you can support us:
- you can buy some tree saplings and plant them on either of the days shown (to ensure we are COVID safe you MUST book a time slot)
- if you don’t want to do the planting, don’t worry, our team of volunteers will plant them for you – just choose the ticket that says ‘no planting’
- if you don’t want to buy trees, don’t worry, you can just volunteer to help plant them (click the FREE ticket to book a time slot)!
Once we have received your ticket request, we will get in touch with you to book your 1-hour slot on your chosen day (you can plant for longer than 1 hour if you wish), you will then be sent further instructions. When booking on Eventbrite, please just book 1 slot per household (i.e. if you have 5 people in your household, just book 1 ticket to cover your whole household, NOT 5 separate tickets).
How much does it cost?
You can buy 5 Saplings for £10, or 12 for £20. This is to cover the costs of guards, stakes and associated equipment. Any surplus from sales will be put back into a fund for future planting.
The various ticket types are:
- Buy 5 or 12 saplings and help plant during the weekend i.e. you are buying the saplings AND coming to plant them with us during the weekend
- Buy 5 or 12 saplings (no planting) i.e. you are buying the saplings but do not want to/are not able to come to help plant them.
- Volunteer to help plant i.e. you don’t want to / are not able to buy trees but are willing to come and help the Trust plant them.
Book your place / buy your trees here!!
Tree Planting-instructions for volunteers
Thanks to our funders the Woodland Trust for supporting this initiative
Our tree planting activity in 2020
In 2020 we planted over 1800, just short of our target of 2000. This was despite the many restrictions we all faced as a result of the COVID 19 pandemic.
We planted many varieties, including sessile oak, pedunculate oak, Aspen, silver birch, dowry birch, wild cherry, Rowan, grey willow, goat willow, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel, dogwood, and crab apple.
We planted in two locations; in March we planted in the vicinity of Haugh Farm, south of Dollar, and in November we planted on the 13th green of the old Dollar Golf Course. WE would like to thank Harviestoun Estate for providing us with the land to plant and for preparing the ground.
In November we trialed an innovative planting technique from Japan, called Miyawaki. It is dense planting, with 3 trees per square metre. The ground was fully prepared and composted before planting, and the trees were covered in straw and volcanic ash once in the ground. Evidence shows it increases both biodiversity and speed of tree growth.
Watch our short video below:
If you would like to know more or to get involved please contact the Trust’s manager Rebecca McFarlane on 07563 405939 or email@example.com.
Click here to read our Tree Planting Statement